Exif Data and Copyright Info


When creating image templates, open up your image template dialog box, select new template and fill in your information, like what I have. Name your template for it's purpose. Set your transparency/background preferences, size, resolution and color mode (digital scrapbooking you'll want RGB). Click okay to save.

Now a little bit about piracy and why doing the above is important:

People steal images. It's not going to stop. But you can help prevent yourself from being a victim by learning different things.

Exif data can also be known as comment info. For this post, I am using it interchangably, yet exif data has oh so much more than your input. It records the program used to create the image, cameras and scanners involved, apertures, etc.

One way of prevention is to add your copyright information in the exif data of an image. This happens when you open up your template to create an image. You've just programmed that into your template and it's permanently set into your image, and when using guillotine, every offspring image. This information isn't typically seen by anyone unless they are using a viewer that allows them to see it, like ACDSee, even some forums will. Most image theives do not see it and do not know how to change it. There is an easy way, but it's not what you'd think and I'm not advertising it here. It's not something you need to know to protect yourself anyway.

Saving your edits in some form is another good way to prove that you are the author. Case in point, two gals in a forum post something darn near identical about a year apart. A mod caught it and didn't know what the deal was. Everyone thought the second poster was the pirate but she wasn't. First off, she had her brushes, a few trials and an unfinished psd file in layers. And of course the exif data. She proved her case.

Poor (very talented and awesome designer) Lilybelle is going through a similar issue. And it seems so many pirates are from another country.

Some will steal your download links and they can even find a way of stealing them for shopping cart related downloads. In the case of Lily, they stole her download link and possibly also renaming files, rezipping and hosting them on their own. You can rename a file, that doesn't change the exif data.

I have altered an item for my use and then deleted the image but used the image space to create something else. I should not have done that, because now I know the comment info was from the first image and not mine. I was in a bad habit of using select>all>edit>delete and then creating. Never again.

I once had someone steal my photobucket pictures, hotlinking them. These were PB photos I had under a password protected account that I paid for - I paid for the bandwidth they were taking as well as the fact those photos were in that file for a reason. So I swapped the image out with another one that said "I steal images". That showed their readers what they were made of. I've also added files to my freebies that said "if you didn't find this via the Freebie Vault and my hoster, than this was illegally downloaded". I have downloaded a file that had a blinkie that at first glance is no big deal, but if you waited, it had the information on their about her terms of use. I got it from her site, but had it been pirated, meaning I got it other than from her sources, I would have known how to reach her to let her know someone had her stuff.

Being popular also helps with the piracy issue. The more people who know you and your stuff, the more likely the person will think twice about it, but popularity alone won't keep you from being a victim. I think, though I have no proof, that if you offer a freebie of a store kit, then the store kit may be safe and depending on the severity, maybe theft of a freebie can be "let go". Not without letting them know they have been caught and making them remove it. I mean, go as far as contacting each and every person on their blog that you can that had said thanks for the freebie and let them know. This way they can give proper credit to you instead of the pirate.

If you want to know more and to find some great links visit the Stop Piracy Blog.

That's all I have for now. I've spent way too much time on the computer today, lol!!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

K...I'm cracking up right now! I KNEW i'd seen a post about this, and looked all over for it before I asked you about it. I had no idea it was your post originally! lol Cracking up over here! BTW...your tip on saving tutorials has been totally addictive...plus don't have to copy and past into new document to save, or suck up all the memory of saving html page. Great tip! I'm subscribing to this feed.

orachel
rachel kendall

Bruno Lustosa said...

Well, someone could just strip the EXIF info from the file. At least in Linux, using jhead, that's pretty easy:

$ jhead -mkexif file.jpg

This will overwrite the image's EXIF data with a new minimal header.

Anonymous said...

Dude, you obviously didn't understand the I'm not telling how to strip EXIF, 'cause I don't want to advertise it part... :/

Quentin said...

Thanks for the tutorials.

@Bruno hasn't looked up to see the color of the hat worn by the people he's dealing with. One day a black hat will take something from him that he values; then he'll appreciate the white hats.

Garrett said...

I like exiftool.

Ava said...

Uhm, and how do I get/open/find this template box?

Ironically, trying to add Creative Commons tag to my pictures, so people can spread them _easier_.

I just haven't found a sane tool to edit the information in. Hoping here would come the answer, as uncle Google lists this top top top, just to find out it's a typical mental note style info for people who already know aspects of Gimp.

It's funny in tragic way that developers won't as a menu for editing exif info, and then tutorials won't mention it either.

Anonymous said...

gimp---file--new---template
or just CTRL+N and template