Quick Page Tutorial

This is a tutorial on how to create single layer png quick pages for digital scrapbooking.

Clicking on any photo will bring a larger view.

First of all, have all of your items you wish to use opened in it's own layer. In my case (image 2 below) I have a paint smudge, a flower, a doodle, a frame, an overlay and a background.

IMPORTANT! Your background layer MUST have an alpha channel or when you cut you will end up with white space. In Gimp 2.2 you can find this under Layer>Transparency>Add Alpha Channel. Make sure you have the correct layer selected when you do this. If it already has a channel you won't be able to select it (grayed out option).


This is the page I am using. It's Template 100 (available at Totally Templates). I chose a simple page for this tutorial. You can use templates and add your papers and elements then convert to a quick page but I am not going to cover that here. Also keep in mind, your items may need drop shadows. Now is the time to do that, except skip the photo frames for now. Merge your drop shadows to their corresponding element and if you need to, rename your layer (in layers dialog box right click on each layer and select edit layer attributes, rename, okay).


Here are my layers. I want to take a last look at the image and make sure it's complete, everything is where it should be, drop shadows are added as needed (minus frames), nothing needs to be rotated, SPELLING IS CHECKED for word art.

You are a gimper, so before you do anything else save this as BlahBlahQP-EDIT.xcf because now if you goof or would like to use these items but rearrange them for a similar QP, you have a working copy, which is why you use the word Edit in the title. It tells you to never ever upload this page to the net. It's a tool or unfinished. And saving as an xcf file helps retain your layers, for those that are familiar with Photoshop, it's like an unmerged/unflattened psd file.


Here we are to the next step. You see now I have only 3 layers. Your project may have more at this point. What I did is take everything that is on top of the frame layer and merged them together. Then everything below that photo frame is merged together in one layer. I have titled my layers so you know what is in each of those layers.


Now select the frame layer, if you have more than one you will repeat this step for each frame. If you have doodles under these frames that are supposed to be there, they must be merged with the background layer or this won't work. Take the magic wand and select the empty space of your frame (note my marching ants in the example above). Now click on the background layer, select Edit>Cut. Your background should now have a nice empty space.

Keep repeating this step for all of your frames.

Drop Shadows: Now is when you add your shadows for your frames. Had you done it earlier, you wouldn't have erased enough of the background.

If you are happy with everything... Merge Visible Layers. DO NOT flatten. Flattening will create a white space in your cut-outs. Save as NameQP.png and you're done!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

thanks I really needed this and I used your template as I followed along it worked great doing it with the template

digitalclutter said...

Thank you so much! I tried to do this, but kept getting the white background! Grrr! I am so glad to have found your blog! It is so helpful!

chang said...

Thank you for this template.. it is nice helpful... nice blog...

davidcoty said...

THANK YOU!!!! This is the most user friendly tutorial on making QPs I have ever seen. Thank you!!!!!

Trixi said...

Thank you, this help me a lot. Was easy to follow your instructions.

Couple Lady said...

i need help with making a quick page please yahoo me at precimofan
thats my yahoo ID for messenger
thanks